Friday, September 30, 2011

John Coakley's last mass

On a windy Tuesday morning Room 7 of Saint Pius X School attended the funeral of Mr John Coakley. He is the father of our principal Mr Coakley. The funeral was at St Michael Church in Remuera.

In the church, we waited quietly for the mass to begin. I was getting very impatient. I started to chat to the person next to me.

Finally the the mass began. We stood up for the opening hymn. I saw our parish priest Father Iosefa walked pass us. I didn’t expect to see him but it was great for him to come.

Mr Coakley went up to share the urology of his father. He looked very sad. I felt sorry for him. Everyone surely felt the pain that he felt when he finished his speech.

Yes, it was communion time. It is our turn to sing the communion hymn. I felt nervous. I am sure I was not the only one feeling nervous. The guitar strum and we sang. I noticed the whole church was watching us. I tried not to look at them. I kept on singing. At last we finished. I saw heaps of people smiling including the teachers that came with us. I hoped we helped comfort Mr Coakely and his family.

The final hymn was sung with the coffin of Mr John Coakley was carried down the aisle. I still felt the sadness when I walked out of the church.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robert

    I was very sad when I heard the news about Mr Coakley's father. What a lovel
    y recount you ave written here. It must have been such a comfort to him to have the support of St Pius students like you at this very sad time.
    Thank you for sharing this

    Mrs Burt

    ReplyDelete